Advertising, Happiness, and The End of the World: #3

Happiness to me is found not through materialistic items, but through feeling satisfied and confident with my life. Confidence is essential to feeling happy. For example, I find it easier to enjoy life when I am feeling confident in who I am. I believe that music, nature, and art are also essential to happiness. I often feel happiest when I am listening to music. Just the sound of it can lift my spirits instantly. I also tend to find the most inner happiness when I am alone. After reading the findings of the Gross National Happiness of the Kingdom of  Bhutan, I think that a national happiness index is a brilliant idea and should be implemented by many more countries. With a national happiness index a country is able to gauge the success of its effect on the people, as well as gain perspective on the lifestyle led by most of its residents and how this lifestyle is effecting their mental health. Most countries are not able to make all of its citizens happy, but that may simply be because they don't know what is needed to make their citizens happy. I believe that the best way to measure a nation's happiness would be to ask each citizen what instances, if any, prevented them from feeling happy that day. This would be helpful because through the results, the government would be able to find similarities between the difficulties in people's days. By finding similarities, they would be able to find ways to alter their policies.

The story, "I've Been Called A Luddite", implies that technology is not necessary for happiness. The article seems to even claim that technology impedes happiness. For example, on page 61 of the article, the author claims that "Electronic communities build nothing." I agree with this position on technology. I think that with email and electronic communication, people are no longer required to interact with others . For example, today if I needed to ask a teacher a question I wouldn't have to talk to them. I'd simply send them an email and never need to interact in person. This is harmful to the social skills of people today. If I never need to have a conversation I will never learn how to properly converse. This is the issue that "I've Been Called A Luddite" addresses. 

The New York Times article, "But Will It Make You Happy?" implies that consumer goods are not necessary for happiness, but great experiences are. The article describes one couple's decision to simplify their life. The article shows that through downsizing collection of mundane items, the couple felt happy. They became happier when their life no longer revolved around items, but experiences. The article claims that experiences make people happier because of the memories they create. You don't grow tired of an experience and have to buy a new one, you remember it fondly and enjoy it. Experiences are also often planned for, it is the suspense of waiting for a vacation that makes people happy and excited. In contrast, when you buy a new shirt on a whim, you are happy only for a short period until the instant gratification wears off. The article uses the example of "keeping up with the Joneses", suggesting that people should stop comparing their belongings to what other people have. If the Joneses have a new car, that doesn't mean you also need one. It is this mentality that we all need possessions that prevents us from being happy, the article claims, and I agree. I believe that getting caught up in the what items are trendy is dangerous. We should instead focus on the enjoyable experiences we have and what we will remember in the future. This is how we can find happiness. 



Pepper Falls by Jeffrey Watts
Watts, Jeffery. Pepper Falls. 2011. Art Painting Artist, artpaintingartist.org/
     pepper-falls-by-jeffrey-watts/. Accessed 30 Sept. 2018.










































































Comments

Popular Posts