Paper 1 Reflection

In English class we were given the task of completing a practice Paper 1 with the intention of informing us of the expectations held of the paper. We were given two texts of different structures and instructed to compare and contrast them using analytical tools. Afterwards, a peer reviewed each draft and gave comments on how the student effectively implemented analytical strategies to align with the specific grading rubric given.

I wrote my Paper 1 with the intention of conveying the obvious themes I had identified in the two texts given, however, I feel as though my ideas lacked the evidence needed to be developed coherently. After reviewing and considering the comments given to me by a peer on my draft of Paper 1, I realized that overall my ideas needed to be supported more thoroughly by specific evidence found in the texts. When stating the correlation and contrast I had identified in each of the texts, I failed to provide specific and related evidence in the format of quotes or examples. Therefore, I jeopardized the efficiency of my ideas by neglecting to inform the reader directly of how they are supported by the texts. I do feel, however, that I effectively presented significant and educated arguments about the similarities and differences between the texts. I found obvious correlation in many of the themes presented by the texts as well as in the overall messages they were attempting to convey. I also identified clear differences between them in their presentation of these themes and issues. For example, the structure through which each text was formatted differed greatly, therefore, altering the perception the reader has when viewing the texts. One text presented a comedic and almost larger than life depiction of the correlating issue, while the other text took a more formal and sincere approach with a real life story.

In the future when writing Paper 1, I will keep in mind that my ideas should be completely developed and supported in order to score ideally. I will attempt to keep a clear focus in my writing that consistently promotes the analytical strategies I have used and the themes I have identified. I will continue to analyze the texts analytically by looking for overall and encompassing themes. I will also attempt to implement as many ideas as possible to produce a more comprehensive. 

Comments

Popular Posts